Located on the North Side of Redfield at the SDDC Campus
Granite Cottage is so named because it was built of Sioux Falls Granite. It was initially the entire facility of the Northern Hospital for the Insane. Construction costs totaled $63,245 and utilization began February 1, 1902.
The building had a capacity of 48 residents and also housed office space, plumbing and heating plant, root cellar, laundry, engine room and employee's living quarters.
From 1904 to 1918 Granite Cottage was known as the first Admistration Building of the Redfield State Hospital and School. A new resident living building had been completed in 1904. Granite Hall received its present name in 1920 when the administrative offices were moved to the present administrative building.
Redfield, SD 57469